Case Study: Antifreeze Toxicity – Miah’s Story


What happened?

Miah, being an inquisitive little pup, was exploring her owner’s garage when she came¬†across ethylene glycol – more commonly known as antifreeze- and licked the sweet-tasting liquid up. Her owners found out to their horror that antifreeze is toxic to pets.

Action taken:

Miah’s owners washed her mouth out and rushed her in to see us. For three days, we had to perform repeat blood and urine samples and closely monitor Miah to ensure that the toxin wasn’t causing any damage – antifreeze poisoning affects the brain, liver and kidneys.

Outcome and Additional notes :

Fortunately, Miah didn’t ingest enough ethylene glycol to cause any toxic effects. Her blood tests came back normal at every check and she’s now back at home, enjoying life and having fun being a puppy, much to her owner’s relief!

What are the signs of antifreeze poisoning?

Some common signs of antifreeze poisoning in dogs and cats can include

  • Wobbly, uncoordinated movement
  • Nausea, vomiting
  • Excessive urination
  • Diarrhoea
  • Rapid heart beat
  • Depression
  • Weakness
  • Collapse
  • Seizures

If your pet is showing any of these signs or if you think they may have ingested antifreeze, please contact us a matter of urgency on 01506 461 462

How can this be prevented?

Antifreeze poisoning is sadly very common amongst pets. Accidents will always happen and the sweet taste of the liquid makes it very appealing. To keep your pet protected, there are some precautions you can take:

  • Keep antifreeze containers tightly closed and stored out of reach of pets
  • Be careful when using antifreeze: if you spill any, clean it up thoroughly straight away, and keep your pet away from the contaminated area as an added precaution.
  • Check the radiator of your car regularly and ensure you get any leaks repaired.
  • Dispose of used containers carefully.
  • Always try to restrict access to areas where antifreeze may be present if possible.
Share Button

Comments are closed